Monthly webinars are available for people with hearing loss, agencies working with people who have disabilities, or advocates interested in learning about CapTel NC service and state programs. For more information visit: https://captelnc.com/webinar/
What is Captioned Telephone?
If you have difficulty hearing on the phone, or misunderstanding conversations due to background noise then we’ve got the solution for you!
CapTel North Carolina (CapTel NC) is a captioned telephone service which offers the ability for anyone with hearing loss to HEAR the other person and READ captions of what is being said during a telephone conversation.
CapTel NC is available 24 hours a day to users at no charge. Users are responsible for their long-distance charges.
North Carolina residents with hearing loss receive:
- No-cost phone
- No-cost captioning service
- No contracts
- In-home set up available
- Large screen with easy-to-read captions
- Built-in answering machine
- Built-in WiFi (except CapTel 840)
- Built-in speakerphone (CapTel 2400i only)
- One-touch button to reach customer service 24 hours a day
- Available in Spanish
- Costs nothing, except for long-distance calls
- Phone calls are placed in a typical manner
- The procedures are easy to follow
- All of the words, emotions and sounds are present
FEDERAL LAW PROHIBITS ANYONE BUT REGISTERED USERS WITH HEARING LOSS FROM USING INTERNET PROTOCOL (IP) CAPTIONED TELEPHONES WITH THE CAPTIONS TURNED ON.
IP Captioned Telephone Servicemay use a live operator. The operator generates captions of what the other party to the call says. These captions are then sent to your phone. There is a cost for each minute of captions generated, paid from a federally administered fund. No cost is passed on to the CapTel user for using the service. CapTel is a registered trademark of Ultratec, Inc.
NC Department of Health and Human Services • Division of Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
ncdhhs.gov/divisions/dsdhh • NCDHHS is an equal opportunity employer and provider. • 06/2020